Wednesday, January 5, 2011

2011 Reading List

Do you enjoy reading? There is something about books that just makes me want to grab them in my arms and soak up all the knowledge they hold. 

Books inspire. Books encourage.  Books can make us cry.  Books can help lead us to the throne of God. I have a deep love for written words, for the lives they represent, for the stories they tell, and for how they have impacted my life. 

One of my goals for the new year is to finish reading my "To read before getting married" book list.  There are still lots of books on the list, considering I've only finished a couple off it so far.  Mostly because I've recently been reading fiction books a lot. 

Below is my list of books that I intend to read before we get married.  These books are tools to help me prepare to be an understanding, loving, faithful, and godly wife and homemaker for Jeremy.  I've highlighted the ones I've already read.  Most of these books I've at least read parts of before

1. Becoming a Woman who Pleases God by Pat Enis and Lisa Tatlock (A great book by a wonderful professor at The Master's College in California.  I e-mailed her a few times regarding my senior honors thesis on "The Biblical Role of Women in the Home".  She graciously e-mailed me back and was so kind and personable!)
2. Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs (I've read bits and pieces before- love what I've read and heard about it.  Jeremy and I are using this in our premarital counseling)
3. His Needs, Her Needs by Willard Harley
4. Saving Your Marriage before it Starts by Les and Leslie Parrot (I've read this once for a class at Liberty, but I'm currently reading it again.)
5. Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
6. Financial Peace University by Dave Ramsey
7. The Family by Dorothy Patterson (One of my all time favorite books! I highly recommend it)
8. Fearlessly Feminne by Jani Ortlund
9. The House that Cleans Itself by Mindy Stuart Clark
10. It's My Turn by Ruth Bell Graham (I just finished this book in a couple of hours- easy read full of wisdom from Billy Graham's wife)
11. Letters from Ruth's Attic by Ruth Bell Graham
12.Sheet Music by Dr. Kevin Leman (thanks to Aliesha for the recommedation!)


Some additional books that I would like to read in 2011 are...

1. Knowledge of the Holy by AW Tozer
2. Mere Christianity by CS Lewis (this book has been on m bookshelf since high school- how have I not read it yet?)
3. A Chance to Die by Elisabeth Elliot
4. 5 Star Living on a 3 Star Budget by Feinburg
5. Handbook for Minister's Wives by Dorothy K. Patterson
6. Margin by Richard Swenson (recommended to me by one of my favorite professors from college.  She said this was a must read for anyone in ministry or mothers.  It deals with time management)
7. The Excellant Wife by Martha Peace (Aliesha recommended this one as well on her blog.  I've had this book for at least six months, I got it free with an Amazon card from Swagbucks.  I just haven't gotten around to reading it)


Do you have any suggestions for me to add to either list?

Although  I love reading books, I always want The Bible to be the Book I read the most.


As Ruth Graham said, "We need to spend less time reading about the Bible and spend more time studying the Bible. Then we need to apply what we learn- carefully and vigorously- to our lives, to live out daily  what we have taken in."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...